Sunday, April 7, 2013

Manual labour

On Friday Lyle needed help at work because to install a glass shower enclosure. They rest of the company is working on a larger out of town project so he has been doing a bathroom remodel on his own. This is not a big issue except when you have to move large, heavy glass panels. So off I went for an afternoon of manual labour. It may not be a formal workout but trust me I burned some calories. I have been better with my eating and staying under my calorie allowance. During downtime I did a few exercises that didn't require a lot of space.

On Saturday Lyle was taking down a wooden shed on our property. It is ugly and he has hated it since we started the position, this week he got approval to remove it. So I had another day of manual labour ahead of me. This one was a lot more physical. We emptied one shed (that is hidden behind our garage) and cleaned it out so that we could move the contents of the one to be dismantled. In the middle of cleaning this shed we had to move cubical partitions and when I picked up the end of one of then my back seized. This is not uncommon unfortunately. So I had to lessen the load that I could lift and move slower and more cautiously. We hauled boxes of flooring and tossed the junk. Eventually we came to the demolition, Lyle handled most of this since swinging a sledge was not going to be feasible for me. I came up with good ideas and helped throw out the pieces I could. We got it levelled and then had to dispose of it. Luckily Lyle's boss has a dump truck he let us borrow. Getting this shed into the truck was quite the task. My back was really sore and seizing at this point so I couldn't help with the heavy sections. Anyhow long story short we got it in and disposed of and got quite the work out! Unfortunately it now hurts to do most things including sitting and standing, hopefully this will pass soon and I will be able to get back to my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment